top of page
There is an Upside to Everything...


Trust, confidence, and goodwill have returned in the community. The Cemetery looks neat and well maintained. A good feeling is in the air and many have graciously expressed their "thanks" from near and far.


Even with this success, the Cemetery quietly struggles for every volunteer hour and dollar. Because of the cost of the lawn maintenance alone, priorities had to be put in place for many projects and improvements. Donations, burial space sales, and monument permit fees all go to the maintenance of the cemetery. 

A Perpetual Care fund was established from a percentage of every burial space sale. PHC, by law, contributes to a Perpetual Care Trust Fund, but does not offer or sell perpetual care. It is our hope that in the foreseeable future, the Perpetual Care Trust Fund will be sufficient to provide long-term maintenance of the cemetery.

History of Park Heights

Park Heights Cemetery was established around 1910 on 10+ acres of land in Brunswick, Maryland. According to some, it was the successor to the old Brunswick Lutheran Cemetery. An old undated plat also mentions "Mt Olivet Cemetery, Brunswick Maryland", and the layout and streets are similar to Park Heights Cemetery today. Hmmm. The first recorded burial was in 1914.  We don't know what happened during the years 1910 and 1914. 


Over the last 100+ years, some 2,290 interments have taken place in the 10 acre site that reflects the character of the local Brunswick and Potomac River landscape.

Cemetery Maintenance
Throughout the Years...


During the 1980s and 1990s, the once proud and well-kept Cemetery fell on hard times, indifference, and a lack of ownership and funds. Historical artifacts were damaged and stolen, monuments were vandalized. Records fell into disarray and sometimes were not kept at all. Weeds grew tall and overcame the grounds. It was a disgrace and a breach of trust to those at rest in the Cemetery, their families and the City of Brunswick. A few good citizens valiantly and voluntarily tried to do their best to sustain some semblance of selective maintenance, but the task was at times overwhelming.


In early 2005, a small group of concerned citizens committed to the challenge, with the support of City and State government representatives. A non-profit all-volunteer organization was formed. Ownership was established, Officers and a Board of Directors were elected, essential committees were formed and bylaws were put into place. Regular meetings were put in motion and made open to the public.


Although the Cemetery had fallen on hard times, the Cemetery team is humbly proud of what has been accomplished so far, and stands ready to sustain that trust.

** Each December, a holiday candlelight luminary event is held at dusk on a Saturday evening, and many families and

friends drive or walk through the Cemetery on that special day of remembrance. Over 1,300 points of light are a

breath-taking sight after dark. **

Our Visions for the Future


Currently the Cemetery team has a vision for an integrated database, a new outer driveway, a special place(s) for cremation inurnments, and the surveying of unused grounds and wooded areas for more beautiful burial spaces.

Did You Know?


  • The cemetery was established about 1910, covers 10.158 acres, and was re-incorporated in 2005 under new leadership.


  • There are over 2,290 known burials of men, women and children, including 246+ military veterans.


  • There are more than 800 major upright monuments in the cemetery, a mausoleum, and countless other footstones and cornerstones.


  • There are over 200 known unmarked burials, some of these are military veterans. Each of these deserve to be known and the cemetery team is steadily working to identify every single one of these with a modest temporary marker.


  • Several historical cemetery artifacts (i.e. the main gates) have been restored and re-installed.


  • The cemetery is 100% volunteer and non-profit, files annual Federal and State tax returns, undergoes an independent financial review annually, is licensed to operate by the State of Maryland, and is governed by an elected Board of Directors and Officers.


  • Every day cemetery operations are carried out by Jackie Ebersole and Gene and Becky Wood. About 1,500 labor hours have been devoted so far to re-document the entire cemetery. Many mysteries have been solved and many questions have been answered, but much more remains to be discovered and resolved.


  • The cemetery receives its funding by selling burial spaces or by receiving public donations. By law, 10% of the regular price of each burial space goes into a Perpetual Care Trust Fund*.


  • Annually, it costs about $20,000 to operate the cemetery.

*Park Heights Cemetery is not a Perpetual Care Cemetery and does not offer or sell Perpetual Care.

  • Rules and Regulations were developed and funding was provided through public donations and lot sales.


  • Maintenance and services were restored.


  • Historical records (details of what was sold and who lies where) and survey information were meticulously reworked and dramatically improved.


  • A pricing policy was established for all services.


  • Several key artifacts were located and restored. 


  • Monuments are slowly being repaired and straightened as necessary.


  • Past delinquent property tax burdens were retired.


  • A new driveway was installed in 2007, replacing the old road that was in significant disrepair.


  • A small storage shed was donated and constructed, and some equipment has been acquired.


  • The Old Gate on Gum Spring Road has been re-opened to foot traffic and a modern Wayside Information Exhibit has replaced the old wooden "bulletin board" near the flagpole.


  • A gravel entrance leading to the northwestern side of the cemetery on H Street was completed in 2013 for maintenance and funeral operations traffic.

  • In 2018, two new Sections were surveyed and made available for purchase. Check out the map for the locations of Sections E and F.

Check It Out!

  • An informational brochure is available online and at the cemetery at the wayside sign by the flagpole.

bottom of page